334-i. Comments: draft law on State Environmental Review
The NCEA commented on a draft law for EIA and SEA in Armenia.
Advisory reports and other documents
Armenia's Ministry of Nature Protection requested the NCEA to review the draft law on State Environmental Review.
The NCEA issued an advice of the secretariat in which it reviewed completeness and consistency of the draft law, based on international good practice. Comments were made on headlines/strategic decisions made in the law, and on specific articles. Main comments included a.o.:
- Linkages between this law and other environmental legislation are not clear;
- The current set-up of integrated EIA and SEA legislation seems difficult to execute;
- A combined review and approval decision is not considered good practice;
- The roles and rights of the public are not clearly stated;
- Accountability by the government is well arranged and in line with good practice;
- The aim to apply SEA to policies is ambitious and difficult to realize without much experience;
- The guidelines of the Convention on Biodiversity are not reflected in the draft law.
Technical secretary: mr A.J. Kolhoff
|Completed:||13 Jul 2007|
Last modified: 10 Jul 2018