Publication: SEA for Sustainable Development Hydropower Sector
Strategic Environmental Assessment for Sustainable Development of the Hydropower Sector - Five Influential Cases - India, Myanmar, Pakistan, Rwanda, Viet Nam
Ed. Arend Kolhoff (NCEA), R. Slootweg (SevS)
This publication (100 pages) - substantiated with 5 cases - provides valuable information and recommendations on how to work towards a more sustainable hydropower sector.
SEA , a strategic decision support tool, can mitigate and reduce negative impacts in relation to building and exploiting hydropower dams. Starting early in the process at a strategic level, environmental and social considerations - using (academic) information, data and stakeholder participation - are integrated in (energy)plans and programmes. This ensures mitigation of negative impacts but also simplifies the ESIA's for individual dams for example.
Please feel free to read, use and share the publication, the cases and summaries
- The complete publication (114 pages)
- Summary for Decision-makers
- Summary for Dam owners
- Executive Summary
Five influential cases
- SEA for hydropower development planning in Alaknanda and Bhagirathi basins, Uttarakhand State - INDIA
- SEA for the hydropower sector - MYANMAR
- SEA for hydropower development in Azad Jammu Kashmir state - PAKISTAN
- SEA for management plan of upper Nyabarongo catchment - RWANDA
- Mainstreaming environment into power planning: SEA for the power development plan VII - VIET NAM
If used for furher distribution, please make reference to the original publication, the NCEA and editors/authors.
Citation: Netherlands Commission for Environmental Assessment (ed. A.J. Kolhoff and R. Slootweg) Strategic Environmental Assessment for Sustainable Development of the Hydropower Sector. Five influential cases: India, Myanmar, Pakistan, Rwanda, Viet Nam. 114 p. May 2021, Utrecht, The Netherlands.