312-i. Memorandum: advice on SEA for reconstruction planning - Sri Lanka
The NCEA issued an advice of the secretariat on adaptation of an SEA proposal for post-tsunami reconstruction works to changed local circumstances.
Advisory reports and other documents
|01 Jan 2005: Other|
|Memorandum by the NCEA|
The Central Environmental Authority (CEA) of Sri Lanka decided that an SEA should be executed for post-tsunami reconstruction works. The NCEA was contacted to assist the CEA in this venture and to provide the necessary expertise for this SEA. The NCEA and the Environmental Ministry (MENR) agreed upon a proposal for this project. It however appeared that the process of reconstruction works have already proceeded from the planning to the implementation stage. This demands adaptation of the SEA setup to the current field situation. The CEA has invited the NCEA to assist in this process.
The NCEA therefore issued an advice of the secretariat which:
- Describes the current situation;
- Draws conclusions on needs for planning and SEA;
- Comments on the proposal and formulates recommendations;
- Proposes a logical sequence of actions for the agenda of the proposed platform;
- Proposes a logical training sequence on SEA for the proposed platform and helpdesk;
- Singles out the main tasks for the long term SEA consultant foreseen in the proposal;
- Formulates the NCEA's commitment to the work of the platform and the helpdesk.
Members of the working group
Technical secretary: Reinoud Post
Country: Sri Lanka
Last modified: 16 Apr 2019